Memorable Night with NCAA First Round Win

There was a buzz on campus.

The DePauw football team had just returned from Wabash after reclaiming the Monon Bell for the first time in seven years, and the men's soccer team was in a 2-2 stalemate late in the second half against Centre in the first round of the NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Championship.

The DePauw crowd watching the soccer game let our a roar as they saw the team in tow with the bell as they arrived on the circle next to Reavis Stadium. Then, Julian Gonzalez gave everyone something more to cheer about.

The senior hit what would become the eventual game-winner in the 75th minute as DePauw (12-5-2) scored two goals in the second half to defeat Centre 3-2 on Saturday.

"It was really special to have a goal in this atmosphere and with everything going on," Gonzalez said. "It feels great to have finally gotten the goal to seal that one, and honestly, it's one I'll never forget."

Gonzalez had a hand in every goal scored for the Tigers. While Taras Tataryn assisted on his goal, Gonzalez assisted on Tataryn's goal to open the game. It was his first of the year when he scored in the 23rd minute from the top of the box with just the goalie and the net in front of him.

Centre scored twice in a six minute span to close the first half, including on a penalty kick to give them a 2-1 lead.

"We came out with a lot of focus," Tigers coach Brad Hauter said. "I thought we played well in the first half, had a couple of setbacks that kind of got us mentally off-centered for 5-10 minutes, but i loved how the guys regrouped, and I thought we did a tremendous job of refocusing in the second half."

Zach Hoffman made it a 2-2 game in the 67th minute off a ball that came off of Gonzalez's chest.

Harrison Glover made five saves but none were more impressive than his diving save with :45 remaining in the game that kept the Tigers in the lead.

"With games like that you just keep telling yourself there may be one big shot, one big save," Glover said. "Sure enough the kid hit a great shot, luckily we were able to get it done and hold on."

Centre (14-6) previously handed DePauw its only home loss in a 3-2 overtime decision in September.

"It was really exciting to see that we were going to face them again because we knew the first time we played them we let ourselves lose that game," Gonzalez said. "It was something that was difficult for us to move forward from because playing at home is something we really enjoy and push for to never let a team take this home field away from us."

The Tigers outshot Centre 22-10 and won the corner advantage 6-5.

DePauw continues play in the NCAA second round at 5 p.m. Sunday at Reavis Stadium. They will play Redlands who advanced on penalty kicks against Washington-St. Louis in a 2-2 outcome (4-3 PK).